When you think of a green shake what do you think of? The healthy over-achievers who drink their greens shake before their 6am Yoga class? “Those” healthy people who grow and juice their own Wheat Grass (no offense if you are one of them!) Can I get a witness? My thoughts exactly! I used to think that way until I learned not just the “why” but how easy it really is to make a delicious and healthy green shake.
One of the biggest reasons why green shakes are so common is because of how many nutrients you can pack into one little glass. The truth is, unless you live on a farm that grows 100% organic fruits and vegetables, sleep 8-10 hours a night, and live in a perfect state of Zen in an anti-wifi zone, your body requires minor supplementing to keep yourself in balance. Oh wait, you don’t live on a farm either? Good news! Having a green shake a day is one of the best places to start getting all the nutrients your body needs.
Before we get into the exact ingredients for a stellar green shake, it’s important to mention a few things you don’t want to compromise on when making your shake. Firstly, keep in mind that you are looking for quality of ingredients, not quantity. We’re not asking you to go crazy about every little nutrient that goes into your drink, but it is important to ensure that your protein powders, collagen, and algae mixes are from good sources. This means they should be safely grown, organic, and free of pesticides. Once you have decided to make some healthy transitions, you can begin to do some research on what’s out there. That being said, good quality doesn’t always mean expensive! Hello Amazon ♥
Important point number two: more is not always more. Some people tend to WAY overload their shakes with fat and protein when the reality is that your body can’t even absorb that much that fast. Aim to keep your fats down to 1Tbsp if you are a woman, and 2-3 Tbsp if you are a man (lean to the latter if you’re in your bulking phase). For protein, aim for 20-25g of protein per shake. Most bodies, especially females, can only absorb 25g of protein per hour. So why drink what you’re not even going to absorb?
Most of our recommendations are just that: recommendations! You may find your body operates more efficiently with more fats, so up your fat content 1 Tbsp at a time. One good rule to follow with “healthy options” is to start small, and increase gradually. Your body will talk to you if you listen!
Ok, so now that you have the breakdown of how to make your green shake, you might be asking yourself “why am I doing this again”? One of the biggest perks of a greens shake is it’s detoxifying effect on the body. Detoxing is the best way to release the toxins from your body through anti-oxidants, free radicals and oxidative materials you accidentally or intentionally ate on your cheat days. The algae in your Superfood power, aka Chlorella and Spirulina, induce a heavy metal cleanse which helps to clean the body of any harsh toxins. If you live anywhere near industrial plants, in smoggy big cities, or in high Wifi zones (hello everyone in the world), this detoxifying effect is going to be quite effective in your health journey!
Simple Guideline For Green Shakes
- 1/2 C Fruit (bananas, cherries, blueberries)
- 1 Tbsp Fiber (Almond Butter, Chia Seeds, 1 Tbsp Fish Oil)
- 1 C Almond Milk / 1/4 C Coconut Milk with 1/2 C water
- 1-2 Scoops of Protein Powder and/or Collagen powder
- 1 Tsp Spirulina/Chlorella (look for a local producer to get your greens fresh) OR 1 Tbsp Superfood mix (start with half, and build up to the full serving)
If you’re really looking for a powerful morning punch, here are a few additional ingredients you can add to increase the health effect on your body:
- 1/2 Tsp Matcha Powder (Calming, mood enhancer, promotes detoxification, rich in vitamins, antioxidants, metabolism booster)
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne (aids in digestion, promotes detoxification, relieves joint paint, supports weight loss, boosts metabolism, reduces inflammation)
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Ginger (aids in digestion, reduces muscle pain, anti-inflammatory, lowers bloody sugar, cardiovascular health)
- 1 Tbsp Liquid Chlorophyll (promotes detoxification, aids in digestion, promotes weight loss, antioxidant, skin health)
- 1 Oz. Mineral Drink (anti-stress, promotes bone health, DNA regeneration, anti-aging, weight management)
- Handful of Herbs – Cilantro/Parsley (promotes heavy metal detox, anti-oxidant, anti-stress, blood sugar regulator, aids in digestion)
Taste it- Adjust the flavor until you can stomach it- And if you’re hardcore, plug your nose and chug!! Happy detoxin’ Wild Fam 🙂